Scuba diving or snorkelling with seals is an amazing and memorable wildlife encounter and one of the most thrilling underwater experiences imaginable. Plunge into the cool waters of the North Atlantic Ocean and snorkel or scuba dive with the Grey Seal colony found around the infamous Blasket Islands. Interact with these playful and inquisitive wild animals in their natural habitat and on their terms. This day trip is one of the best activities you can undertake during your stay in Dingle! Not only will you snorkel/dive with the seals, but you will also experience the breath-taking views of The Blasket Islands from sea and view the stunning marine and coastal life found in and around our waters!
Check availability on our scuba diving or snorkelling seal trips
Eastern Atlantic Grey Seal facts:
Grey seals have been known to dive to depths of up to 300 metres and stay underwater for up to 20 minutes!
Adult male statistics and info:
- Measure between 1.95-2.5m in length
- Weigh between 170-310kg
- Males reach sexual maturity at 4-6 years of age, however may not attain territorial status until 8-10 years of age.
- Live up to 25 years of age on average, with 29 years being the maximum recorded age.
- Males tend to have dark brown-grey coats, sometimes nearly black with a few lighter patches.
- Male adults have a distinctive long “Roman” nose with wide nostrils.
Adult female statistics and info:
- Measure between 1.65-2.1m in length
- Weigh between 103-180kg
- Females reach sexual maturity at 3-5 years of age
- Live up to 35 years of age on average, with 46 years being the maximum recorded age.
- Females are usually light grey-tan coloured, lighter on the front with dark spots and patches.